How to reach out to Contact Agents / Realtors?

We currently have an issue with contacting realtors / land agents in Colorado. We usually try to reach at least one local agent after we receive a signed PA, and before we finally buy the property to get a quick and dirty price, they think they could sell it within six months (as part of the due diligence).

We reach out to them over the Zillow contact form or via their website when we find one.

We tried different messages like (not word by word but in the sense of): “We are a land investing company and we have a property under contract in the area you are working in. Are you interested in helping us with the disposition of the property? What price is reasonable for selling it within six months?”

In the beginning, we wrote in that message that we didn’t buy it so far and before we buy it, we would like to know a price from a local agent… Now we write it as written above.

The problem: We don’t receive any responses from them.

I’m hesitant to call them because that is not my strength. I guess that would help a lot. Do you have tips for approaching them via mail / text to receive more responses? Thank you!

@niclas-hk a couple thoughts.

1. When you say this:

I’m hesitant to call them because that is not my strength.

This is a very important role you’re trying to fill. It’s frankly worth the time you’ll inevitably have to waste making phone calls until you find the right person.

The phone is much more powerful than an email or text, and this is a time when it’s worth the extra effort because the right person will take a HUGE load off your shoulders.

I talked a bit about this with JB in a recent episode, where you always plans on calling at least 3 agents, with the expectation that many of them won’t pick up the phone or return their calls. It blows my mind too… but this is the level of apathy many agents operate with.

1. The only other subtle thing I might suggest in your message (when you do send these messages out via text or email) is in this line:

“We are a land investing company and we have a property under contract in the area you are working in.”

Instead, say:

“I am a land investor and I have a property under contract in the area you are working in.”

Make this business sound like it’s your baby, and all your skin is in the game. When you say “we,” you could be an employee of the company, or any other person in an organization who isn’t as invested as you are.

1. If you haven’t tried it yet, look for an agent here: https://www.rliland.com/ - these are land-specialized agents.
1 Like