10X vs. 80/20 - what do you think?

@Jarenb and I had an interesting discussion about the 10X Rule vs. the 80/20 Principle - you can hear the whole thing here: https://retipster.com/070-10x-vs-80-20/

What do you think? Does one of these approaches make more sense than the other? If so, why?

I personally think there's a time and place for both... but if I had to pick one, I think it makes a lot more sense to figure out the 80/20 first and THEN dive into the 10X once you know what works.

Great episode! I agree that there is a time and place for both. I like the suggestion of applying the 10X philosophy once you know which 20% of the 80/20 rule is effective. Obviously figuring out that 20% is the hardest part at the beginning. It helps motivate me to remember that so many endeavors are numbers games, and that's where the 10x mindset can come in to play.

I particularly loved the comment "You don't rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems."

@DanielC - thanks for listening! Yeah, that was a great quote - taken directly from Atomic Habits by James Clear. :)

I love the principal of 10x but I'll be honest, there is a quality of life aspect here too. Grant has some pretty big bags ubder his eyes these days...

I think, becoming effective and consistent (more of the automic habits side) every day/week/month is my goal.

Once I dominate a skill, system, aspect of business it requires less of my time and I can them multiply

In the words of John Maxwell "activity is not necessarily achievment"

2 Likes
In the words of John Maxwell "activity is not necessarily achievment"

I love that!

@jawollbrink Quality of Life is what crossed my mind as well. 10x is great in theory but what are you really after? Improperly focused "Explosions" just create collateral damage.

1 Like

Slightly off topic:

This is the best logic I've come across as to why time seems "slower" when we're young and "faster" when we're old in hindsight:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-does-time-seem-to-speed-up-with-age/

TL;DR - New Experiences = "Longer" experiences and everything is new when you're young.

@JT that makes total sense! I’ve actually thought about this many times... never been able to explain it succinctly though. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like