5 years ago, where did you think you’d be in 5 years?

Life often doesn’t pan out the way we think it will, for better or worse.

Where did you think you’d be at this point in your life and where did you actually end up? Why?

I thought I’d be more established in a 9-5 career and further up the Corp ladder, but it hasn’t worked out. Instead I’m making most of my money from real estate with a lot more freedom than I ever the job ever gave me... one step backward, three steps forward.

2 Likes

I thought I would be a published author with my own home and a good income. Well, the last 5 years have been the most difficult years of my life and I don't have my own home or a "good" income yet but my first book will be published Spring of 2021 so I'm 1 for 3!

Why? A combination of a million different things that happened and a million little choices I made but mostly, figuring out how to truly take charge of my responsibilities regarding my family, my work, my income, my passions, and my overall mindset has been a long, uphill battle. I have failed in so many different ways and I spiraled into a dark period of my life but every day, bit by bit, I pull myself out just a little bit more. Financially I am in better shape than I ever have been before and I am determined to not make the same mistakes I made in the past. I'm not at all where I thought I would be, but I believe I am a better man than I was 5 years ago. Thanks for asking!

1 Like

@DanielC thanks for being real here! It’s not easy to talk about life’s low points and dark times (and Lord knows we all experience them). I’m pulling for you buddy.

2 Likes

@charlotteirwin I guess that’s a win then, right?

Right

@retipsterseth Haha appreciate it man! Maybe I'm too hard on myself! What about you, Seth? Are you where you thought you would be?

I thought I'd be a corporate lackey for 30 more years unless the Powerball worked out?! I CONSTANTLY thought of businesses or inventions to start/create but nothing seemed to work out. For years I was mentally defeated bc I never thought I'd get out of it... until I found the sweet, sweet words of the BP Podcast #39. A few years later, I'm flipping raw land full-time from my home office, self-employed and absolutely loving life again. I still am floored to think about where I am today and get giddy thinking about the future.

3 Likes

@AFlanagan amazing. These are the kinds of sweet, sweet words that redeem the thousands of hours I‘ve put into this website. Thanks for making it all worthwhile!

2 Likes