Cold calling and general questions

Hi there, I’m very new to land investing so pardon any ignorant questions. Three things have been on my mind lately:

1. Has anyone considered cold calling potential sellers of land about their property? If so, is there a way to do it efficiently? Are there affordable companies that give you phone numbers to people or do you just do your own online snooping? Do people not call because they think it’s less effective than sending direct mail?

2. What’s the point in creating a sellers website and a buyers website rather than using one website? And for the two separate sites is it better to use the same company name or a different business name for each site?

3. Does anyone have a rough estimate for all the expenses that go into completing a deal? I know that each deal comes with its own challenges and miscellaneous costs, but for a more standard deal, does anyone have rough estimate for costs of things like direct mail with blind offers, a spread on all the monthly subscriptions for tools like DataTree, Phone Services, other tools and apps, accountant, title insurance, etc. I am just trying to factor as many baseline expenses that will be virtually part of every deal so I can factor it into my analysis for whether a property is worth flipping or not.

Thanks!

Best,
Blake

@blake-heller there’s a YouTube channel called The Indy Solution that does live stream recordings of their cold calls to homeowners (not for land). You can see an example here:

1. I’m not sure where they get their lists from, and I’m not sure what software they’re using to automate the calls, but I do know of one called PhoneBurner that will do this for you.
  2. See this blog post: https://retipster.com/brand-business-right/
  3. See this blog post: https://retipster.com/costoflandinvesting/
1 Like

Cold calling sounds like the worst form of torture I can imagine BUT, if a person actually has some phone skills (and that’s a big “if”), I can see how this could effectively cut through the noise and win some deals.

1 Like