Land Spanning Two Counties: Potential Problems and Resale Considerations

Hey, have any of you bought land that lies between 2 counties? It’s one solid parcel , but about an acre is in another county. The other county has about 7+ acres. Would it be hard to resell being that the buyer would have tax payments from 2 counties on 1 parcel of land?

@carolinajay wow. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of that before.

Are you absolutely sure it’s a single parcel in two different counties?

Which county sends the tax bill each year? That would probably answer the question of which county it’s in.

If both counties send a tax bill to the same single parcel each year… that would be a first for me.

@retipsterseth It is 2 parcels, but it’s one piece of land. No tell-tell sign of which parcel is which. It was 3.1 in one county and 5+ in another. It was always 2 parcels. It would be like your yard is split by 2 counties. One on one side and one on the other side. Still, same yard. That’s what this is and she’s way behind on taxes to both counties. She tried giving it to her sister-in-law, but SIL never came to sign the papers. One county took 2 acres to their side in 87’ and didn’t tell her or her late husband (at least that’s what she said when I told her that’s what the county told me). She only has about an acre in one county now, that county still says TBD on how they will make this new description because it’s not apparent on any GIS in that county, but it is in the county that took the 2 acres. She’s still being taxed on 3 acres in that one county but only has the 1 acre there now, from my understanding. Yeah, it’s a lot. It was in her husband’s family, they gave it to her and her late husband and now she’s tired of fooling with it. She wants to get rid of it bad.

@carolinajay said in Parcel between two counties?:

It was always 2 parcels. It would be like your yard is split by 2 counties. One on one side and one on the other side.

That makes more sense.

As for the back due taxes, regardless of how much is owed or for which acres or years, it’s just a matter of whether the property’s value exceeds the back due tax amount (assuming it does at all), and by how much.

If there’s any margin there, and assuming the title is clear, you could just offer to accept the deed in return for paying off their taxes. If she was ready to give it to her sister-in-law anyway, it probably wouldn’t be much of a stretch to give it to you.

@retipsterseth Do you think it would scare off a buyer? The 2 payments a year from 2 different counties on, basically, the same piece of land? That acre by itself would be, really, hard to sell the way it looks on the counties’ GIS that shows it. It’s a weird shape. Would need to sell both together.

Also, wouldn’t it be 2 title pulls when buying and selling being that it’s 2 counties?

@carolinajay said in Parcel between two counties?:

@retipsterseth Do you think it would scare off a buyer? The 2 payments a year from 2 different counties on, basically, the same piece of land?

If it’s 2 separate payments on 2 separate parcels in 2 separate counties, it’s not the same piece of land.

Those are 2 separate properties you’re getting, and you could sell them individually or separately if you want to.

I don’t think it would scare off a buyer (of course, I haven’t seen the parcel map you’re referring to, so that might change my mind if I saw it).

If anything, you could make the deal look even better. They’d be getting Two properties for the price of one!

…or however you want to frame it.

@retipsterseth I sent you a pm.