List pulling with PropStream but too few results?

Hi friends, any pointers on this would be appreciated greatly. I have spent a significant amount of time pulling lists on Propstream. I have not sent anything out yet as I am in the process of getting everything else in place. However, I am targeting counties with a less than 100 per square mile population and by the time I have narrowed the list I end up with like 80 properties, then once I look through them I end up with like 30-40.

I see people talking about sending thousands of mailers out to one county alone. I am mind blown as to how they are finding that many properties on their list in 1 county and I am ending up with 40.

Am I using too many filters? Looking in the wrong markets? It is frustrating and I am sure I am not the first one to encounter this. I feel like I have a good understanding of the process but really struggling with list-pulling at this time.

Thank you in advance!

@gwilkins234 I wouldn’t feel like you need to fixate on having less than 100 people per square mile. That’s just one of many things to look at, but if that single metric is messing up your list count, it’s perfectly fine to ignore it. The is to keep to the rural-ish areas, but it’s not a make-it-or-break-it kind of thing.

It could also be other filtering metrics that are cutting all the results from your list. The way to figure it out is to go one-by-one through your filtering criteria and see what happens when you delete or widen one of them. That should make it clear (in that one area, anyway) which of them you might consider changing or removing altogether.

@retipsterseth Hi Seth, thank you so much for responding. It is just really frustrating at this point. I am sure it is new guy growing pains. Just seems like this is the same issue I am have in every county I look at. My list ends up with 40 properties. Plus, I have yet to get a positive response from a county clerk with a delinquent list. I might need to look elsewhere. But I will keep trying!

@gwilkins234 if this is in a super rural area without much of a tax base to develop and maintain good county records, that could be part of the problem. Usually, when I see big missing gaps in the data, it’s because the county is just too far out in the middle of nowhere, and there aren’t enough people paying taxes for the county to keep good records.

Of course, that doesn’t mean you can’t work there. You might even find there’s a lot less competition in that area, because nobody else wants to deal with these issues either… but it is a shortcoming you’d have to somehow get over.