New Colorado Investor

Hey tipsters! I am new to the land investing game and thought that I would introduce myself and get involved with the forums. My name is Grant and I’ve been setting up the systems which are talked about in the blog posts. I just sent out my first direct mail campaign. I decided I’ll try this for one full year before re-evaluating but am feeling pretty optimistic about it.

My target market to start is southern Colorado. I am planning on using a title company to get an understanding of how deals work firsthand. I am thinking of purchasing Datatree as it seems like it’s the best and most up to date data service in my area. Any advice is welcome, thanks for connecting!

@choicelandbuyer I’m following this. Curious what you end up with for data services. I can get some of the info from county GIS in MO but I know a paid service has more info and you can use it for filtering and getting prospects for mailing campaigns in addition to property research

2 Likes

@bairdd1987 Hey David. Yeah, my first campaign I used Listsource for a small list so I didn’t have to commit to a year of billing yet. I tried Propstream (free trial) in my area but the data was really old (like 5-10+ years). I have the free trial right now with Datatree as well so I can filter and use it but don’t have access to export anything without purchasing first. Datatree is recently updated in my area which is great.

In Colorado, the tax lien sale just happened in November, so there’s not much on county delinquent lists as of yet (property taxes are due late Feb/June if partial payment-May is full payment due date) but I am interested in trying the delinquent lists as well.

1 Like

Thanks for hopping into the forum @Choicelandbuyer! Keep us posted on which data service you end up with. It’s funny how some of them seem to come out so far ahead of the others in certain pockets around the country. I can never figure out why that happens in some areas.

1 Like

Hi, I am also in Colorado and have been land investing since fall of 2020. For data I have used PRYCD which has the datatree back end and I have been pretty happy with it. Many investor friends are using datatree, so if you can afford it you can’t go wrong with it.

As for new investor advice, when you are getting started don’t shy away from wholesale opportunities from other investors while you are getting on your feet. My first dozen properties were purchased wholesale from another investor. I sometimes have deals that don’t fit my investment criteria for one reason or another. Other investors I have come to know might pick them up on assignment for a win-win (and the seller wins too!). If the price is right and there is meat on the bone, consider your investor network as a source of deal flow. There is a hidden benefit to this approach as well. A lot of people don’t stick it out after starting in this business. Establishing relationships will not only push you through your difficult trials and keep you moving forward, but will also stretch your goals.

2 Likes

@stevel

Thanks for the advice. I hadn’t thought much of wholesaling from other investors as an option. I’ll have to checkout PRYCD a bit more, I know Seth has some videos on it. I am definitely starting out as cheaply as possible, while still trying to have most of the conveniences of a legit business.

1 Like

@choicelandbuyer Hi Grant! So cool to virtually meet you. I just joined the community as well! If you are looking to team up or work together on some deals I would be happy to connect. :+1:

@givingtree Hi Allison, I am looking for some connections with newcomers and experienced investors in Colorado as well. I just sent out my first letters. :slight_smile:

1 Like