Sources for delinquent tax land other than county?

I’ve had a brutal time getting delinquent lists from the counties like Seth suggests. The main issues are:

1. They just won’t supply that. They say ‘we don’t do that sir, we just give a list of upcoming tax sales’ I’ve called 5 or 6 counties , so maybe I need to call more?

2. Even if someone does get a tax delinquent property list, from the county, would it not be ALL delinquent properties? - Most of which would be houses and buildings, and not just the delinquent vacant land we’re looking for. So, you’d have to mass mail all these and hope the land only people would call back.

This leads to my question - has anyone found another list or database search service that will give reliable ( and currently delinquent) land owners info to you? So we can do the mailout to them?

I tried propstream, by clicking the “delinquent tax” people, but the vast majority of them mailed were not delinquent. They were indicated that way on propstream but in reality, they had already paid up to date and had only been delinquent at some point in the past, which is why they showed on the list.

@robere, what state are you doing this in? I ask because some states make it pretty much impossible to get their lists.

I’ve experienced this in Utah and Idaho in the past. It may have something to do with their non-disclosure status (that’s my best guess anyway).

DataTree can kinda generate these lists in some areas, but the information can be a little outdated. This video explains the issue a bit:

Even if this method does “work” for you, my hunch is that you’d probably encounter a similar issue to what you saw with PropStream. It’s just not as current or trustworthy of a source as getting the list directly from the county.

Wherever you’re trying to make it work, you could go about it a couple of ways:

1. If you’re confident you’ve explained the request adequately and you’re simply hitting a brick wall, you could abandon this state altogether and try getting the list in one or two other states.
  2. Just forget about getting the delinquent tax list. It’s a nice list if you can get it, but it’s not by any means the only way it can be done.

Even when you get the list, it will still be a bit of work to sort through it in many cases.

As for seeing homes and buildings on the list, yes, you’ll probably find some of these… but the ratio of improved vs unimproved properties will depend on how well you’ve removed the owner-occupied properties AND how rural the county is. I’ve seen it go both ways… but the counties with fewer improved vs unimproved parcels in the county will usually yield a lot more vacant land on them.

1 Like

@retipsterseth what would you ( or anyone) say are the best lists BESIDES the tax delinquent lists (assuming we’re just not having luck getting delinquent lists) ?

Kind of like the second and third best criteria to use, if we can’t get delinquents.

Such as out of state property owners who have owned for at least X number of years?

Something else?

Other ideas that are somewhat effective or ALMOST as effective , as it were, as the tax delinquent lists?

@retipsterseth and to answer your original question, I’m in Mississippi, sending to counties in this state. Perhaps I will look closer at neighboring states where it’s not too far to drive, but may have better luck.

@robere said in Sources for delinquent tax land other than county?:

@retipsterseth what would you ( or anyone) say are the best lists BESIDES the tax delinquent lists (assuming we’re just not having luck getting delinquent lists) ?

Kind of like the second and third best criteria to use, if we can’t get delinquents.

Such as out of state property owners who have owned for at least X number of years?

Something else?

Other ideas that are somewhat effective or ALMOST as effective , as it were, as the tax delinquent lists?

You could try to replicate some of the quick list choices that PropStream and DealMachine have in their systems. You don’t even need to use their platforms, but if you can understand how and why they filter their quick list options and apply the same logic to whatever data service you are using, it could accomplish a similar objective.

You can see PropStream’s filtering profiles here: https://www.propstream.com/propstream-quick-list-definitions

For example, “Senior Owners” (one of many possible options):

Identifies properties where the current ownership (i) exceeds 25 years or (ii) the property owner has a senior tax exemption or (iii) the current owner has an open reverse mortgage.

You could filter out your properties this way AND make sure they’re only vacant land—just an idea.

1 Like

I will run counts for vacant lots, delinquent. Please let me know and I will run a search for your areas https://www.pioneerdatasolution.com/real-estate-leads

1 Like

@pioneerdata Thanks for the response. What makes your delinquent lists more reliable and current than the delinquent lists on other search engines like propstream and datatree , etc?

Not trying to be distrustful, but I’m just wondering if you’re saying your delinquent lists are actually going to yield more currently delinquent properties than the other engines I mentioned. Like I said in the opening paragraph in this thread, most of propstreams on the delinquent list, are not actually, still delinquent.

It’s really very important to gather the detailed information before going for the delinquent tax land. Hi I am a real estate agent from miami. Feel free to ask me anything about the tax rules to buy property land in Miami. You can also enquire regarding the rents in Miami or about buying a new property in Miami like 600 Miami World Center.