Using Craigslist to Sell

I have been selling on zillow, MLS and my own site but decided to try and post some lots on craigslist, figured if should be pretty straight forward. Wow, was I wrong. Posted some and then they are removed. Learned you need to go to the actual page of that city/town to post in that area but just had another one taken down.

Any tips to post vacant lots from out of town on CL?

Thanks,

Fred

@gablesland craigslist can be such a crap shoot. I know if you try to post too many listings in too many markets, and especially if you’re using duplicated content and not making each individual listing unique enough, that can get your posts automatically removed.

I think you can also get removed if others users don’t like you and decide to flag your listings.

It’s annoying, but if you’re in a market where CL is effective, it’s still worth playing the game to get the exposure that will get your properties sold.

I usually only list one or two per day, and make the posting titles unique. So far I haven’t had anything removed, but I also haven’t sold anything through CL yet either. FB Marketplace has worked a lot better.

1 Like

Thanks @charlotteirwin and @SemperVirens for your feedback and of course @retipsterseth for this forum, invaluable.

Cheers,

Fred

@gablesland

We found CL (and eBay) to be too much trouble, only to return mostly crazies.

We found the best combination of exposure / much fewer crazies to be: Flat fee MLS (which pushes to Z), Our website, and FB marketplace.

Happy Hunting.

@josh-brooks Yes I have come to that conclusion as well. Follow up questions. I have been using a service that used to charge $99 to get on MLS but they increased it to $126. Still see the value as one stop posting gets all the regular players. Is that what others are paying?

Second question, how do you deal with the need to have photos? I have been using CL to get people to take photos and send to me for $50 but wonder if there is another way that others have figured out?

Thanks

@gablesland

We pay $125 for our flat fee MLS.

Also, at this point, I personally go boots-on-ground on every purchase. Part of this is because I am semi-retired, part because I LOVE Land, part because our purchase price is usually greater than $50K, and part because We rarely mail to counties that are more than and overnight RV trip away.

Hope this helps. Happy mailing.

1 Like

@gablesland said in Using Craigslist to Sell:

@josh-brooks Yes I have come to that conclusion as well. Follow up questions. I have been using a service that used to charge $99 to get on MLS but they increased it to $126. Still see the value as one stop posting gets all the regular players. Is that what others are paying?

Second question, how do you deal with the need to have photos? I have been using CL to get people to take photos and send to me for $50 but wonder if there is another way that others have figured out?

Thanks

We’ve been paying $89 with Homecoin.

@sempervirens will check them out, do you enjoy the service? Is it easy to use? Thanks

@gablesland said in Using Craigslist to Sell:

@sempervirens will check them out, do you enjoy the service? Is it easy to use? Thanks

It’s pretty straightforward and easy enough for us to continue to use. Figuring out how to change the status on a property to ‘pending’ and ‘sold’ took some figuring out, so let me know if you get stuck there. They also may have increased their prices to $95 a listing recently, I’d have to double check.