What's a "good" traffic count for commercial real estate?

I’m looking into some commercial properties as a potential investment, and possibly changing the zoning on a property to commercial. I know that the traffic count that passes by these properties each day is a big consideration for commercial, just in terms of visibility and accessibility.

But I’m wondering, what is considered a “good” amount of traffic? How much is enough? How little is too little?

And is there one centralized place where you can check to see what the traffic count is for every road in America?

@donyost said in What's a "good" traffic count for commercial real estate?:

I know that the traffic count that passes by these properties each day is a big consideration for commercial, just in terms of visibility and accessibility.

Correct.

But I’m wondering, what is considered a “good” amount of traffic? How much is enough? How little is too little?

I’m not sure if there’s a precise line you can draw in the sand, and it also depends on what the property will be used for (for example, self storage wouldn’t need a huge traffic count, but a movie theater or mall would want more), but to give you one example, I’ve got a commercial lot ona road that gets 6,000 - 7,000 cars per day passing by. This isn’t a huge number, but it’s enough to justify a gas station or storage facility, I think.

And is there one centralized place where you can check to see what the traffic count is for every road in America?

I would start by googling your state and county and “traffic counts” (or something to that effect). I don’t believe there’s one centralized place where you’ll find all traffic counts for the entire US (nothing like DataTree for car traffic), but most counties will have this kind of data available online.