Where Can I Find California's Foreclosure Data and HOA Foreclosure Information?

I’m new to this forum. I am looking for any links that give California’s official government foreclosure data. I would also be really interested in any HOA foreclosure data. I have been reading that HOA’s are foreclosing on unsuspecting homeowners around the US. Does anyone know where I can find this kind of data?

@hewittbkk is there something specific about the California foreclosure data you’re looking for? California has the country’s best public property owner data, so if it’s available anywhere, you can probably find it in California… but again, not sure which specific piece of information you’re trying to find.

That’s an interesting issue you bring up about the HOA foreclosure data. I’ve always wondered about this myself… if a property owner stops paying their HOA dues, what can the HOA do to them? Can they foreclose on a property they never had a mortgage on?

I could see them being able to put a lien on the property, but that’s more of a cloud on title, not something that would allow them to take possession of the property… but again, I’m no expert on those matters.

I’d be curious to hear some case studies to find out the worst an HOA could do to a property owner if they broke all the rules and never paid their dues.

@retipsterseth, they actually can foreclose after the fees are delinquent for 12 months, and they must already have a lien against the property. I saw a short news clip about this happening on the East Coast, so I wanted to look into it more to see if it is affecting residents of California. I imagine that in other states, the laws don’t protect homeowners as well as they do in California. The data I am looking for specifically is when these HOAs actually succeed in foreclosing on a property they do not hold the deed to. I wrote a short blog about it on my site but I won’t be spammy here. If I find some hard data, I will let you know.

@hewittbkk Wow, crazy. I didn’t realize property could be seized just by putting a lien on a property… especially because anybody can put a lien on any property for any reason. It’s kind of like how people can sue each other for any reason, no matter how valid or invalid it is (it doesn’t mean it will hold up in court, of course).

I wonder if this is just a California thing or if it works this way everywhere?