As a licensed real estate broker, am I disadvantaged in land flipping?

I have heard real estate investors say that being licensed in real estate is often a disadvantage because of heightened restrictions. Is that true with land

investing/flipping? What questions should I ask my real estate commission before I start? Thanks for your help.

@Jarenb - you have any thoughts on this?

@mkrichie,

I don't think it's a disadvantage at all. I'm licensed in Indiana and do my land business in Florida.

If anything just operate with full transparency and integrity. My direct mail piece says I purchase property at a discount of market value, and I reiterate that when I speak to them on the phone - it's really clear that they could get a better price elsewhere, and as long as you do that, I think you're fine. When I did business in Indiana I included my license number on my mail piece as well.

It's a good idea to talk to your broker or Realtor's association just to make sure you're in compliance, but in my opinion, it shouldn't be an issue at all.

1 Like

Thank you Jaren & Seth for the replies.

In North Carolina I know that I don't have to inform anyone that I am a real estate broker when I buy. When I sell the rules are different. The rules I am concerned about are centered around residential real

estate. There are lots of disclosures in the name of consumer protection that need to be signed off on and a mountain of paper to keep. I have an idea that the same requirements would not apply to raw land.

I am going to find out for sure because at this point I am planning to stay fairly local.

Thanks for this forum

As it turns out there are no restrictions according to the NC Real Estate commission. Either I remembered poorly or was misinformed in an earlier CE class.

Apparently this activity is not considered using my real estate license. Thanks

1 Like

@mkrichie I can't imagine it would be (using a real estate license), as you're not acting on behalf of another party, waving your broker's shingle about, etc.